Saturday 17 August 2019

The Roller Coaster of Congenital Heart Disease (or Pushing a Boulder Up a Hill)

I'm still alive. Barely. This has been a shitty year.

I'll get you caught up since we last spoke in February 2017. I ended up getting (what seemed on paper) an awesome job at a prestigious organisation. It wasn't in reality: neither awesome or prestigious; and I never got the chance to truly do the job I was hired for. A more accurate description is chaotic, a lost cause. I was there for approximately 16 months. Why did I stay there that long, after I had gauged the level of chaos within four weeks of having arrived? I don't give in that easily. I'm a dog with a bone. If you have a problem, I'll work my ass off to try and fix it because that's who I am. Maybe I shouldn't get that emotionally involved or have such high expectations of organisational structures or people? But that's not who I am, I don't put up with half-arsed and I care about the quality of work I produce and the impact I have on others. I want to contribute, make life better for others around me and leave my corner of the world that little bit of a better place than what it was before. 

It was weird, that place was so seductive, its people with such compelling stories and promises, with a decent job description, pay and benefits package and the promise of things getting better. I was lulled into a false sense of security that preyed on my loyalty, hard work ethic, commitment and natural inclination towards problem solving. It was like an abusive relationship: I kept on going back because I was promised things would be different next time, but they weren't. In fact they kept getting worse.

Something I haven't experienced before is the chronic stress element. It differs from standard stress, where you get pushed for a short period and then the valve is opened to release pressure and you get back to an even playing field again. Instead, chronic stress builds up over an extended period of time, constantly rising until something massive, like Chernobyl happens. There's warning signs, but you're so used to the stress and long hours (because that's your standard level of operation now) that you ignore or try to poorly manage the warning signs...and then BANG!

16 months of chronic stress and three heart incidents later, I accepted my reality: either that place was going to kill me, or I quit. I did the latter and I've been off work and recovering from my last incident for five and a half months already. I'm still angry though. I'm angry at myself for putting up with bullshit and not being kind to myself. I'm angry at the organisation and its people that didn't perform their duty of care. 

I sometimes forget that I have limits, that my heart and energy levels aren't as strong as someone who was born without heart issues. I forget because I can't sit idle waiting for my condition to claim me. I want to live my precious life and enjoy it just as much as anyone else, I want to challenge my mind and offer value to others without constantly thinking about illness or death.

But now I'm giving myself time to decompress and reflect. I'm learning my lessons and implementing strategies to better manage myself and my health. That's the beauty and often frustration of life: the power of retrospect and growth as an individual. Its a gradual, cumulative and an imperfect process.

I was incident free for over 3 years post having my defibrillator inserted. Then the job with the chronic stress happened and so did these incidents during extreme and prolonged periods of stress and exhaustion:

  • Cardiac arrest, one appropriate and successful defibrillator shock to revert ventricular tachycardia  - six months into the job
  • Atrial fibrillation, hospitalisation with transoesophageal echocardiogram (TOE) and cardioversion - nine months into the job
  • Cardiac arrest, six consecutive and appropriate defibrillator shocks, with sixth successful in reverting ventricular tachycardia; cardiothoracic surgery for defibrillator replacement, medication change, rehab - 16 months into the job
There can never be definitive reasoning as to why these incidents happen, but doctors have a good idea. Stress and depression don't help, studies link these clearly to arrhythmias, particularly atrial fibrillation. Having congenital heart disease doesn't help - fucked heart from the get go, which puts patients into a higher risk category of having more complications or issues throughout their life. And finally scar tissue from open heart surgery can also cause arrhythmias. Or maybe it was a virus that weakened and affected my heart? Take a pick, I've had it all. And the severe stress and exhaustion made it so much worse.

People particularly in this modern day and age want a quick fix, a one pill solution, a reason they can grasp onto and fix. The best unsolicited advice I got from a family member recently was to fix my diet. I guess I shouldn't eat that donut or worry about all the other factors that come into play? Fuck it, I'm eating the donut.

One of the hardest things in this life is to live with uncertainty. People try to help, to simplify, to process.

There's limitations and doctors aren't gods. We're also all different constitutions that have our own way of ticking and working with genetic and environmental factors coming into play. The way modern health has advanced and information is disseminated makes us have a collective cultural mindset of being invincible and immortal. We're not and we don't have all the answers. Nature and life are both a beautiful and ugly miraculous mystery.  

I've been here before. I've been through this. I've got this. This wasn't my first cardiac arrest and it's probably not going to be my last.

I get moments of emotional weakness and complacency too. After my first out of hospital sudden cardiac arrest in 2014, I satiated my uncertainty by convincing myself that it was most likely a one off random event and the defibrillator was my insurance policy. I know better now. It's my survival mechanism. Until other heart complications; or other health issues or old age get me, just like any of us.

The last year and half has been at times a horrible nightmare; and at others a beautiful ethereal dream. 

In their book 'A Beginner's Guide to the End', Miller and Berger briefly talk about major chronic diseases and their patterns. They describe heart disease as having the pattern profile of a roller coaster. That's right, with the constant ups and downs, with good periods and bad ones. Where you're in hospital feeling rubbish and terrified for our life one day and the next you're recovered (for now), elated and discharged to go home to resume your normal life.

That's been my year. And here I am again, picking up the pieces and getting on with it. But it's alright, I've got this. I told you: I've been here before. 

It's familiar, but I wouldn't say that it gets easier. The darkness in my mind is real, with the insomnia and the sheer terror of going to sleep because I think I might die during the night. And the anxiety is taken up a notch or five now. Not only from the panic of dying, but I'm also emotionally paralysed from entering the work place again because I'm traumatised from my last job. 

There's a Greek myth that stuck with me recently: the story of the great Corinthian King Sisyphus. He was so cunning that he captured and escaped death. For this, he was eternally punished in Hades to push a boulder up a hill, which would then roll down upon reaching the hill's summit. Push, roll, repeat. For eternity. A fruitless and laborious task. A lesson in how we are unable to avoid the inevitable. Death and taxes come for us all.

So here I am, call me Sisyphus. Whether I'm riding a roller coaster or pushing a boulder up a hill, I'm stuck in this perpetual loop with no control, but I keep going. Welcome to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment