Wednesday 30 July 2014

Support Group at RNSH

A couple of weeks ago I attended a support group at Royal North Shore Hospital (RNSH). It was primarily aimed at an "older" audience, although there was another lady near my age, Kim, who also attended.

It became very clear that not only different age groups, but also people, have different concerns and at times approaches to life and living with an ICD. The best example of this was an older patient exclaiming that she used to do everything right and still had a cardiac arrest. So post arrest and having an ICD inserted, she no longer takes things too seriously and instead indulges in a nightcap or two...on most nights. I guess we all have different ways in dealing with things, and major events like a health scare can motivate us to live life quite differently to the way we did before.

Kim pointed out this difference and outlined that due to having two young kids to look after (plus heart health complications), her concern is prolonging her life as long as possible. So for her, there is no indulging in a nightcap or any alcohol in fact at all, ever.

Myself on the other hand, I like to employ the more balanced French/Italian/Greek way of living: having the odd small glass of wine with a meal. Good for the blood and circulation I say!

There were two speakers organised for the day:
  1. The lady spoke about needing to understand everything that was (medically) happening and taking control over her own care.
  2. The man spoke about having a complete life turnaround. He used to be a high-flying successful business owner who worked too many hours, didn't exercise and ate and drank really badly. Since his arrest he's sold his business, exercises 5 times a week and enjoys spending a lot more time with his family and friends.
It was interesting to see the differences between the two speakers. The floor was also opened up to the audience over a lead discussion, as well as a question and answer. Even thought quite a few experiences were revealed, it was reassuring to see the differences and also know that most people felt very similarly about having and living with an ICD. I think it's important to connect with others going through a similar experience so you don't feel as isolated or alone. Family and friends can be supportive but unless they've been through the same experience, they just don't get it.

As much as I need to understand what's logically going on with my heart and why what happened did happen, I'm afraid there aren't any certain answers for me. I've been working hard to let this go so I can go on with my life and live without fear. So I've taken the more high-level, focus on what I can control type of approach. Similarly to the gentleman speaker, what has changed drastically for me are my values and consequently the way I live my life. I've given myself no option but to prioritise regular exercise (3-5 times a week). I feel that's one major positive thing I can do not only towards my recovery, but more importantly for my long term health and vitality. Never before in my life have I had this clarity, motivation and dedication towards my exercise and well being. As the noise drops away, things seem a lot more simpler too and life more enjoyable.

I'm looking forward to attending the next ICD Support Group at RNSH later this year. It's supposed to be aimed at a younger target audience and have a large focus on exercise with an ICD. I bet I will have a lot to offer to the conversation!

No comments:

Post a Comment